Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Proxmox Migration - Progress Report #3

The dead speak!

OK, it's not quite that cartoonish.  Jerome is up and running Proxmox.  It is in the cluster with joanna.  Migrating running VMs between the hosts is a piece of cake.

Networking appears to be doing networking properly, so that's good.

I've created new PFSense and TrueNAS VMs on jerome and am currently migrating the data from the TrueNAS VM I created on joanna over to the one on jerome.  I chose to rsync the data over rather than try to move the running VM because the way I have the storage set up on jerome is different - I have one big ZFS drive on the host, and mutiple virtual disks shared up to the TrueNAS VM on jerome, whereas I just did one big ZFS on jaonna and gave the whole thing to TrueNAS -- in retrospect, that appears to have been an error.  The way I'm doing it on jerome allows me more control over the shares and the ability to regulate provisioning of storage add storage if needed, which was not really available the way I did it on joanna.

...well, that was yesterday.  As of today, jerome is completely stood-up, and all my "expected to be up all the time" VMs are there.  Storage has been built out and migrated.  The PFsense VM is doing its thing.  My DNSMasq host - an olde Raspberry Pi 2 - has been repointed (hopefully for the last time) to the PFSense firewall on jerome.

Storage share clients have all been pointed to the new trueNAS VM on jerome.

The only things that didn't go as I'd initially planned were:  

  1. I was unable to use a larger NVMe SSD on jerome because old motherboard
  2. SO's MS Windows VM had to be recreated with the storage from the original VM mounted as a bag on the side.

All things considered, I'm very happy with the way the migration to Proxmox has gone.  

Joanna now houses lab/testing VMs, and will be off unless access to those VMs is needed.  Jerome is the primary VM host again, and the manageability and robustness has never been better.

Next, I'll have to work out how backups are going to be done.  That shouldn't be too bad, tho.

So, this is me, calling the Proxmox migration a success, and signing off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RMVOD r0.9.3 is here!

 Hi folks!   Well, TV Series Playlists are here, as well as some fixes to Recommendations.  Here are the release notes: RIBBBITmedia Video O...